Reader, what am I doing wrong?! I am a mummy of two kids, a 7yr old daughter and 5yr old son. They are fed and watered, clean clothes, looked after well, and I am pretty sure they are happy.
However, my house is not happy, it often looks like a tornado rips through it on a daily basis no matter how hard I try to be a good wife and mother and clean the grease of my elbows.
My schedule, generally consists of;
- 7am wake up and shower (if I am lucky!)
- 7:15am wake up kids
- 7:20am make kids breakfast
- 7:30am chase kids upstairs brush teeth, wash faces
- 7:40am get kids into school uniforms
- 7:55am kids downstairs watching a bit of tv, chance to blow-dry my hair, in between yells of ‘BEHAVE! STOP FIGHTING, LEAVE YOUR BROTHER ALONE!’
- 8:15am sort out schoolbags, reminding myself that I really should do this chore in the evening
- 8:20am Do daughters hair, in between her yells of screams that I am hurting her tugs
- 8:25am tell kids to get their shoes and coats and scarves and hats and gloves on
- 8:27am tell kids to get their shoes and coats and scarves and hats and gloves on
- 8:30am scream at kids to get their shoes and coats and scarves and hats and gloves on
- 8:35am daughter’s friend rings door bell
- 8:35am roar at dog to stop barking at door bell
- 8:40am kiss daughter goodbye
- 8:45am Ask son where he has put his school shoes
- 8:50am get son in the car drive him to school
- 9am go to supermarket
- 10am put groceries away and curse at the crap I shouldnt have bought
- 10:30am have a coffee
- 10:45am start cleaning kitchen, living room, hallway, downstairs loo
- 11:30am have a look at Facebook
- 12 noon put a laundry on
- 12:15 have lunch
- 1pm start making beds and tidy bedroom
- 1:30pm empty washing machine, sort out clothes put into dryer
- 2pm off to school and pick up kids
WTF…I havent started upstairs yet, I have two bathrooms to clean.
- 3pm Children are yelling for snack
- 3:15pm fold laundry from dryer
- 3:45pm MY KITCHEN!!!!!! *sob* That darn tornado has gone through it AGAIN!
- 4:15pm try to clean one bathroom, in between ‘LEAVE YOUR SISTER ALONE….’WHAT WAS THAT BANG?’
- 4:45pm What do I make for dinner
- 5pm start making dinner, while trying to help with kids homework
- 5:30pm eat dinner
- 6pm clean kitchen
- 7pm Emmerdale *yay* I am now past caring the state of my kitchen
- 7:30pm Husband comes home from work, it’s now his turn to take over kids, he baths them
- 8:30pm say good night to the kids
Schedule variations; On Mondays and Wednesdays, I have to run son to taekwondo at 4:15 and I have to wait until 5pm, hardly worth going home so I fill myself up with caffeine, get home at 5:30 (rush hour) and start dinner. Tuesdays, Daughter has cheerleading at 6pm-7pm so I need to get dinner in sharp! Fridays daughter has dance class from 6:30-7:15
Reader, where in that schedule do I fit in baking, crafting with the children, doing anything that is generally fun?
I have friends, believe it or not, when I go visit them, their houses are like show homes, they have children the same as me, they manage going to the gym, or spending a day in the city shopping and lunching, manicures, pedicures, things I can only dream off. They also craft, bake, make their own darn Christmas decorations! HOW?!?!
I have one friend who has 5 kids and either they don’t live in that house, or I am doing something drastically wrong. You could probably eat in their bathrooms it’s so sparkly, go into my bathroom and you will quite possibly be met with an unrolled toilet roll, or worse, my son has just removed his boxer shorts and left them!
When I do get a good day and my house is top to toe spotless, I feel generally smug, but give it an hour and that freaking tornado will whip through the house leaving nothing unturned.
I bought, How To Be The Perfect Housewife, By Anthea Turner I looked at the first page and was too exhausted to any further.